Okay people, listen up I'm a cheapskate and I am not shy to admit that... Everything about this trip is try and be as cheap a bastard as you can. As such, I have sourced out 'made in india... made in india...california...." soft case panniers. I'm almost about to commit my money into buying them for a cheap cheap 40 bucks(shipping's another 20 I think) without first having even gotten my bike.
Also, I spoke to Son down at SMARTRIDER today about taking that wretched Moto maintenance repair courseand it's going to set me back around 120 bucks. Did do a course in Army but then again, that was two years back so seeing how I've never torn apart a motorcycle before and touched the... body (grrr....) I think I should do a "refresher".
Next, met a guy from PSB, interesting nickname;Dubs, to try on some touring pants. It turned out to be a little big for me and it'll set me back 70 bucks. So, I'm going to settle for my army camo pants and get a pair of reliable knee and shin armored guards to wear over/under them pants. I figured, if I can save a little while it serves the same purpose then Do IT!(say it like Ben Stiller in Starsky and Hutch, it's fun!). By the way, Dubs you are one helluva big fella! I wouldn't be caught swearing at you drunk with my pants around my ankle even if someone paid me to Do IT!
Then, I caught up with an ol' friend, Janni, from high school at Cottosloe for a chat and some dinner. I had called him a couple of days ago to check if he'll be a willing slave to helping me do up the bikes. One thing led to another and now, he might be my riding buddy, although he'll probably only ride a 250 to Adelaide or Can-dbury-berra and fly back to be in time for uni. We'll see... I mean the bloody trip is 30 MONTHS AWAY!
Anyway, here's my own "cheap bastards guide to traversing Oz":
1. Don't buy them fanciful gadgets!
2. If it's not brokenn don't fix it (same goes for your bones)
3. Derive entertainment from yourself. Go ahead, play with yourself, it's much cheaper
4. If you have something at home that serves the same purpose, don't waste your bloody money buying a newer one. That just makes you a bloody fool. (Gotta remind myself about that)
5. Budget well and keep to the budgets
6. Refer to the abovementioned 5 and remind yourself that only fools spend money they don't need.